Old 10-06-2009, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default plant IDs

In message
, Des
Higgins writes
On Jun 10, 11:01*am, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
I visited Acorn Bank (NT) up in Cumbria towards to the end of April, and
came across a plant that I couldn't place. I'm not sure whether it was
meant to be there, or arrived under it's own steam.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2731758...p://www.flickr.
com/photos/27317581@N06/3613702154/

Anyone recognise it?

There was also in the woodland garden there (and I presume wild) a
marginal plant that is reasonably common, but which I've never pinned
down.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3613702244/

While I'm asking questions, there's also this aquatic plant photographed
in a canal backwater last month.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3525917881/
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

They are tough so I cannot help much;

I hope I can manage the easy ones myself :-)

1 looks just like Chrysosplenium
oppositifolia in habit but the petals are way too big.

Chrysosplenium oppositifolium is reasonably common in woodlands around
here. I did wonder whether it was the another golden saxifrage (e.g.
Chrysosplenium alternifolium, which I've never seen, but may have
overlooked as the former), but not only are the petals too big, but the
flower structure is wrong - 5? sepals, 5 petals, 10 stamens, 1 carpel vs
4 sepals, 0 petals, 8 stamens, 2 carpels.

The number of stamens is wrong for a Lysimachia (compare creeping jenny
and yellow pimpernel) as well.

It is a
common native in damp woodlands. 3 could be a Callitriche which are
common aquatics in steams and ditches and are buggers to tell apart.

I know of a couple of locations for Myriophyllum locally. I haven't been
able to tell those apart either - I suspect I have parrot's feather, but
can't prove it. I'll bear the suggestion of Callitriche in mind - I may
catch it flowering when passing another day.

Thanks.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley