Old 10-06-2009, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Horse Manure

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-06-10 08:50:50 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-06-09 23:51:54 +0100, "Simon"
said:

I am going tomorrow to pick up some 2 year old manure.
Is it best to leave it longer than this, or can it be put down
now. I am in no hurry to get it down obviously but wonder if it will
be better with a little more age, like a fine wine lol.
The lady told me there is some old stuff, 2 years, and some new
stuff. I am taking rubble bags and someone told me once not to
leave the tops open on the bags when storing them as the rain
washes all the goodness away.
Thanks Simon
A lot of people buy/sell manure that's been lying around in a heap
open to all weathers. But I think you should check that the animals
comes from haven't been grazing on fields treated with the weed
killer that wrecked so many garden and allotment crops last year. I
can't remember its name but someone here will. It caused quite a lot
of problems so I think you'd be wise to check on that.

aminopyralid

Thank you, Stewart. I think I should probably tell Simon that it
didn't harm the animals it passed through, so might still be in use for
dairy farming only.

Aminopyralid was removed from the market, pending finding a method to
prevent farmers ignoring the instructions that manure from animals fed
on treated pastures should not be used on susceptible crops. As far as I
know that removal has not been rescinded.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aminopyralid

However, there remains the risk of farmers using old stocks of the
herbicide.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley