Old 10-06-2009, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default plant IDs

Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
In message , K
writes
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes
The number of stamens is wrong for a Lysimachia (compare creeping
jenny and yellow pimpernel) as well.

And the leaves look too fleshy. It may be me misreading the pic, but
the leaves seem to be of similar fleshiness to ivy-leaved toadflax -
is that impression right? - it's certainly more the fleshiness that
you'd associate with some of the saxifrages.

I'd say that the leaves are fleshier than Cymbalaria, but then I don't
find the leaves of Cymbalaria to be particularly fleshy. (But they're
variable; the local stately home has a population which is less
trailing, with fleshier leaves, than those I've seen growing wild.)

But now that you mention toadflax and saxifrage, I open Stace, and find
a decription of Celandine Saxifrage (Saxifraga cymbalaria), which is
what it appears to be. (Now I look at the photograph of the flower I
see that it does have a second carpel, which I had overlooked, causing
me to discount somewhat Saxifragaceae.)

So, thanks - you nudged me in the right direction.

And as you see from my other post, I went in exactly the same direction,
in my case via Fitter, Fitter and Blamey ;-)

It interests me our different approaches - you via the detailed
botanical structure, me by my gut feeling and similarities to things I
already know well. You will, of course, always get to the correct answer
while I can go spectacularly wrong, but just occasionally I may get
there more quickly albeit less rigorously.

Which is why I am now trying to consolidate my wildflower knowledge by a
better understanding of the underlying taxonomy.
--
Kay