Old 10-06-2009, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default plant IDs

In message , Pam Moore
writes
On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 11:01:51 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

I visited Acorn Bank (NT) up in Cumbria towards to the end of April, and
came across a plant that I couldn't place. I'm not sure whether it was
meant to be there, or arrived under it's own steam.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3613702404/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3613702154/

Anyone recognise it?

There was also in the woodland garden there (and I presume wild) a
marginal plant that is reasonably common, but which I've never pinned
down.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3613702244/

While I'm asking questions, there's also this aquatic plant photographed
in a canal backwater last month.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3525917881/

I know the first one as Golden Saxifrage, which, for me, is a good
enough name for it. It appeared in my garden a few years ago and now
seeds itself everywhere, but as it is so pretty I largely leave it
alone.
The second I think is what I call starweed, which becomes a menace
when it gets established on top of pots.
Can't give botanical names.

Did you mean the 3rd, which Des suspects of being a water-starwort?
Unfortunately the predominant meanings of starweed - if one believes
Google - are Stellaria media (chickweed) and Plantago triandra (a New
Zealand plantain).

Pam in Bristol

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley