Old 11-06-2009, 07:03 AM posted to rec.gardens
z z is offline

Default Ticks?

On Jun 10, 12:20*pm, MadKad wrote:
Hi

I was in my garden the other day and come across a tick, I was 100%
sure it was a tick and when I checked online I was 110% sure lol

But now its put my g/f off letting our son in our garden, I need to do
something that will kill any bugs like that etc.

does any one know what I can do?

Thank you

--
MadKad

ticks are really tough and hard to kill, even in a house where you can
fog the place up good. outside, liek the guy says, deet repellant,
long sleeves and pant legs, tuck them into your socks, etc. what a
pain. then tick checks once you get inside, they wander around a while
looking for a good place before they plug in. they like armpits,
groins, etc. the problem is that the big ones are dog ticks, easy to
see and don't carry many diseases. the little ones like the size of a
period are deer ticks, carry lots of nasty diseases. besides lyme
disease, which was once local to lyme, CT, you got your rocky mountain
spotted fever, babesiosis, tularemia, etc.

and like the guy says, deet isn't the most benign of chemicals. for
one thing, it's one of those universal solvents, it doesn't just stay
on your skin, it penetrates tissue very efficiently, and can carry
other chemicals with it.

anyway, besides deer, note that deer tick are carried by mice, voles,
etc. and probably small birds for the earlier part of their life, so
keeping them guys out of the lawn isn't a bad idea; move woodpiles
away from near the house, eliminate other little hidey holes, let the
cats have the run of the yard at night. of course, then the cats carry
toxiplasmosis..... face it, nature just sees us as food for
microorganisms.