Old 10-06-2009, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default plant IDs

In message , Pam Moore
writes
On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 17:46:06 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

In message , Pam Moore
writes
On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 11:01:51 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

I visited Acorn Bank (NT) up in Cumbria towards to the end of April, and
came across a plant that I couldn't place. I'm not sure whether it was
meant to be there, or arrived under it's own steam.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3613702404/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3613702154/

Anyone recognise it?

There was also in the woodland garden there (and I presume wild) a
marginal plant that is reasonably common, but which I've never pinned
down.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3613702244/

While I'm asking questions, there's also this aquatic plant photographed
in a canal backwater last month.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27317581@N06/3525917881/

I know the first one as Golden Saxifrage, which, for me, is a good
enough name for it. It appeared in my garden a few years ago and now
seeds itself everywhere, but as it is so pretty I largely leave it
alone.
The second I think is what I call starweed, which becomes a menace
when it gets established on top of pots.
Can't give botanical names.

Did you mean the 3rd, which Des suspects of being a water-starwort?
Unfortunately the predominant meanings of starweed - if one believes
Google - are Stellaria media (chickweed) and Plantago triandra (a New
Zealand plantain).

Pam in Bristol

Oh dear, well I got that wrong, but it's what I've always called it,
not having reference books to refer to. Yes I did mean the 3rd photo,
but the second plant!

Pam in Bristol

You're not necessarily wrong - it may be that you're using a local name.
Unfortunately starweed doesn't mean anything to me.

[Golden Saxifrage is in widespread use for plants of the genus
Chrysosplenium, so using it for Saxifraga cymbalaria is potentially
confusing. However the Americans use Golden Saxifrage for both
Chyrsosplenium and Saxifraga chrysantha. Stace uses Celandine Saxifrage
for Saxifraga cymbalaria, which is not a bad name; Keble-Martin doesn't
give any vernacular names.]
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley