Old 11-06-2009, 09:18 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Andrew May Andrew May is offline

Default barbeque cast iron grill

Jeff Layman wrote:
Andrew May wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:
In article ,
john royce wrote:
The grill that sits on top of my little barbeque is cast iron. The
surfaces on the grill it are not very smooth, so its really difficult
to clean off the burnt on residue.

A stainless steel grill I also have (but dont use much, because it does
not sit well on the barbeque) is easy to clean, because I can soak it
in a water tank for a week or two after use so the burnt will always
scrape off easily. If I soaked the cast iron one like that I think it
would quickly turn to
rust. So would anyone have any experience of easily cleaning a rough
surfaced cast iron grill after use? Thanks.
We have one similar. Cleans well on a hot BBQ... Failing that a wire
brush taken to it works OK too.

If you're not up to that, what about one of those oven-tray cleaning
bags and some caustic soda?

Gordon

Mine (albeit stainless steel) came up well with the application of a
pressure washer.

Andrew

What make is yours? I have been looking for a gas BBQ with SS grill for
some time, but have never seen one for sale in the UK at a reasonable price
(all cast iron/ porcelain coat/ chrome plated).

Probably cheaper to make an SS grill to fit!

It's made by a firm called Hotspot, who iirc are based somewhere in
Somerset. But it's not gas. It a conventional charcoal BBQ with a spun
steel (or is it aluminium) pit and tripod legs. Doubles as a fire pit in
the evening after the BBQ has finished.

Andrew