Old 10-06-2009, 11:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Snake prevention

"ReelMcKoi" wrote:

"~ jan" wrote in message
.. .
This was a new one for me. I do remember talking about it though in old

RP.
One of my hubby's ex co-workers collects coffee cans, drills holes in t

he
plastic caps and then put moth balls in the cans. She then set the cans

on
the outskirts of her property. Apparently this works. I've never heard

of
it before. ~ jan

Why would that stop them if it's out in the open?
The fumes would blow away. The "outskirts" of her
property no less. I don't believe it. ;-)

I'm a skeptic, too. But I spent a lot of time a week or two ago
reading about different products and there are lots of believers in
this one;
http://www.pestproducts.com/snakeaway1.htm

It uses naphthalene [mothballs] and sulphur and claims that it masks
other odors so snakes avoid the area because they can't smell their
dinner or danger.

The review that kept me from trying it was the guy who said it worked
great to keep snakes from around his pool---- but his kids wouldn't
go out there for 2 weeks after he applied it because the smell was too
strong.

So I guess I'll go with trap and relocate if my garter snakes get too
plentiful.

Jim