Old 11-06-2009, 02:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Snake prevention

I'm a skeptic, too. But I spent a lot of time a week or two ago
reading about different products and there are lots of believers in
this one;
http://www.pestproducts.com/snakeaway1.htm

It uses naphthalene [mothballs] and sulphur and claims that it masks
other odors so snakes avoid the area because they can't smell their
dinner or danger. Jim

Course snakes don't smell do they? Don't they taste the air with their
tongue or some such thing? (I'd look it up, but not in the mood to argue
about something I could really care less about, snakes are rare in my yard,
and other than a rattler, wouldn't terrify me.) But according to this lady,
who is terrified of snakes, it works. Believe it or not, I'm just saying...
;-) Maybe what really works is that she puts it in coffee cans. The snakes
go for a cup of Joe and turn around and slither off to Starbucks. :-D

And RM, didn't we determine the critters in your county... are well... just
odd. :-D ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us