Old 11-06-2009, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default Ticks?

On Jun 11, 10:12*am, Mike wrote:
DEET is a horrible chemical, I'd rather have the ticks than that
crap. *Don't use it on a kid, and if you do insist, put it on your
clothes, and not your skin.

Check yourself when you come in. *I've had rocky mountain spotted
fever, and as long as you treat it within 2 weeks with antibiotics the
fatality rate is 3%. *If untreated, it's more like 30%.

The poster that said half the ticks carry bacteria is wrong. *It's 1%,
actually, and North Carolina is the top state for it (that's where I
live). *I get bitten by at least 1 tick a year (and have since I was
old enough to play in the woods), and the first/only time I've gotten
sick was when I was 30.

If you get bitten by a tick, or if you have flu-like symptoms during
tick season, go to your doctor, and they can do a blood test. *If they
know what they are doing, they will start you on antibiotics right
away, and cancel it if the test comes back negative. *A rash is common
if you get infected, but you can get sick and not have a rash.

Educate yourself, and don't make the kid paranoid about something so
rare, there are better things to give him a complex about.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/s...s/sub_lyme.htm

I don't think I'm wrong but could not find the study done a few years
ago but did find this good site:

http://www.dhss.delaware.gov/dph/epi/lyme.html

NC is a nasty state and I know of two people contacting Rocky Mountain
spotted fever there.

Combine this with a poisonous snakes like copperheads, it's dangerous
to go outdoors there