Old 15-04-2003, 04:08 PM
C. Hurst

Default Japanese Beetles...

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:20:19 GMT, "Alan Sung" wrote:

Milky spore will help with grub control. Results are somewhat questionable
depending upon your climate. Also different brands have shown differing
levels of efficacy. Instead of Grub-Ex, I would look for a product that
contains Merit which is an effective systemic grub control. Scotts Grub-Ex
no longer contains Merit. The spring is also not the recommended time for
grub control. Grubs hatch in the late summer (August) time frame and that's
when you want to get them (when they're small). If you have a bad
infestation, then a contact insecticide called Dursban can be used but only
as a last resort. Diazinon is fairly ineffective against grubs nowadays.

These however will not eliminate your Japanese Beetle problem. Grape vines
are one of the beetles favorite foods. Almost as good as one of those beetle
trap lures. The Japanese beetles will fly in from quite a distance (greater
than 1/2 mile) so you really need to have the entire neighborhood vigilant
about grub control.

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA
(Zone 6a)

Thanks (everyone) for the information...I am armed and ready...

Last year someone mentioned Sevin...and after reading the
label...well...napalm would have been less toxic...and my cats...who
like to curl up under the cascade of grape leaves definitely nixed the
idea...

Yes..I have noticed that Grape Leaves seem to be a favorite...

Thanks,

Carla