Old 12-06-2009, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default When can you start digging potatoes?

June Hughes wrote:

Oh. I think mine are main crop but thought you had to wait until they
had finished flowering? I may be wrong and can't remember where the
info came from.

I've heard that too, but take the view that if they are big enough to
eat then do so; cheaper than buying new potatoes. I suppose it depends
on how many you've planted as to whether you can "waste" a few by
digging them up before they are full size. I've got more than 300 plants
so I can dig as soon as possible. The biggest chore is digging them up,
especially if the ground bakes hard, it has a lot of clay in it. I
probably won't get around to lifting the last of them until the tops
have completely died off. Trouble then is finding where to dig without
impaling some.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.