Old 13-06-2009, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Brown Kate Brown is offline

Default Coriander

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009, Judith in France wrote
On Jun 6, 3:01*pm, "Bioboffin" wrote:
"dido22" wrote in message

Hello,

I grow coriander in a pot on the window-ledge & it does fine there.

It is starting to produce little flowers. Should I leave them on? or
should I remove them to encourage growth?. *I assume I can eat them OK?

Thanks

If you leave them, they should produce seeds, which are also useful in
cooking. However you can save them, and sow them next year.

I grow coriander in the garden - last year I bought a plant in a garden
centre, but this year about 6 plants have grown from the seeds which fell
off last year's plant. I currently have massive 80cm tall coriander plants
which are beginning to flower too.

--

John

John, how would you use that amount of Coriander? I have lettuce
growing, enough to feed the 5,000 and I have no idea how to use the
majority of it; although I eat a green salad every day. Maybe I
should go into the cooking group and ask for recipes; although lettuce
soup is awful.

There's a lovely recipe for peas which jazzes up ordinary frozen peas,
and I often do this with lettuce that has sat a day too long in the
fridge, or excess from my rocket patch.

Cut up shallots finely and saute them in a drop of olive oil or butter,
add peas, then chopped up lettuce, add a little stock or white wine and
simmer for ten minutes or so (if using fresh peas, add the lettuce when
the peas are nearly cooked). Add a grating of lemon zest and a little
lemon juice, plus a good spoonful of creme fraiche, mix in till the
cream is hot and serve. Fantastic with fish.

As for coriander, large quantities are very good with either grilled
lamb or prawns.

Heavens, I've only just finished breakfast and I'm hungry already....

--
Kate B

PS 'elvira' is spamtrapped - please reply to 'elviraspam' at cockaigne dot org dot uk if you
want to reply personally