Old 13-06-2009, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Runners beans failed

Judith in France wrote:
I had some runner beans which I brough from England. Only 2 have
germinated, I dug down and the rest have all rotted away! I bought
some French runner beans here yesterday, put them on wet kitchen roll
and I will leave them like that until they germinate and then plant,
has anyone else had a failure this year?

Judith

My runner beans were around 95% successful. They are all beans saved
from previous years. Originally they were from England "Streamline", but
the original packet was probably around 8 years ago!

My only total failure is parsnips. Neither of the two batches sowed (two
months apart) in the garden has germinated, or have do so too slowly
such that they are over-run with weed seedlings. I've just hoed over my
last failed batch. I managed to germinate some in a pot to transplant
out, but the slugs / snails polished the lot off! Score 0 / 3 at the
moment :-( Can't possibly have a Christmas roast dinner without some
parsnips! It would be a disaster and totally ruin Christmas!

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.