Old 13-06-2009, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
wafflycat wafflycat is offline

Default Runners beans failed

"Judith in France" wrote in message
I had some runner beans which I brough from England. Only 2 have
germinated, I dug down and the rest have all rotted away! I bought
some French runner beans here yesterday, put them on wet kitchen roll
and I will leave them like that until they germinate and then plant,
has anyone else had a failure this year?

Judith

This is my first year of trying to grow things 'seriously' as I'm a newbie
and have a laid-back attitude to gardening failure (it's my normal state of
gardening...) and complete joy at anything that manages to grow.

Runner beans:so many seedlings I gave some away. Ditto for dwarf french
beans. Peas doing well except for 'Kelvedon Wonder' as it isn't.. got quite
a few failures with that one. 'Onward' have been much better. Tomatoes and
squashes are like triffids, taking over everything. Sweet & hot peppers -
lots of growth and flowers, but little pollination & setting of fruits so
far. Onions coming along nicely. Spring onions slow to germinate & grow but
seem to be picking up a bit. Broad beans... going mad. Lots of height,
zillions of flowers and loads of bean pods forming. Swiss chard, beetroot,
kale, kohl rabi, lettuces, carrots, strawbs, all going ok. Garlic developing
well as is parsley, thyme, rosemary, sage, chives and the like. Potatoes are
developing into trees..