Old 13-06-2009, 02:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Coriander

wrote:

I am afraid that I find both of your responses rather sad. Sorry,
but the reality of butchery is an intrinsic part of meat eating.

I agree. Like many people in this respect I'm a hypocrite. I enjoy meat
however, I find the butchery process somewhat repugnant. The actual
act of killing the animal I find even worse.

I was brought up on a farm and one of my earliest memories is having a
pet calf. I called him Henry and grew quite fond of him and used to
scratch behind his ears - cattle love that as do most animals. Anyway,
he got older and one day he disappeared. A few days later I was eating
Sunday lunch when my father proudly proclaimed that I was eating Henry! :-(

I've since heard it said, that if you are raising an animal for meat,
never give it a personal name!

--
David in Normandy.

by a filter and not reach my inbox.