Old 15-04-2003, 04:21 PM
stephane Boutin

Default pruning a apple srout

Thank you for the information
That did answer my question very well.

Stephane

Derek Turner a écrit dans le message :
On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 18:45:15 -0400, "stephane Boutin"
wrote:

We Had an apple tree in the yard and we had to cut it down because it was

dangerous for the house. I have some srouts growing and i kept the

strongest
one and left it growing. The diameter is 2.5 in and has about 15

branches.
snip
Quebec.

Warning: your mileage in Quebec may vary and this post may be
completely useless to you, but you did ask in a UK group ;-)

If the 'sprouts' were growing from the root then no, you will never
get a nice tree because you are growing the root-stock (below the
graft) rather than the edible variety (above the graft). If the stump
wasn't taken all the way to the ground you may still be able to see
the graft. If the 'sprout' is from the stump ABOVE the graft then you
should be OK and get nice apples. The graft appears as a ring of scar
tissue usually about a foot above the soil (-ish). hth.
--
Derek Turner

Outlook Express is worth precisely what you paid for it.

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).