Old 13-06-2009, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
comp.john comp.john is offline

Default Coriander

On 2009-06-13, Judith in France wrote:

John, how would you use that amount of Coriander? I have lettuce
growing, enough to feed the 5,000 and I have no idea how to use the
majority of it; although I eat a green salad every day. Maybe I
should go into the cooking group and ask for recipes; although lettuce
soup is awful.

I agree it is a lot. When it's growing, I use the youngest very tastiest
leaves, in salads and rice, lentils (cook a lot of curry) and thai-style
food, or a (sort-of) fried rice with chopped veg, or in a fish soup. I
also make a paste of it, like the stuff you'd get in a jar (but no oil,
just lemon juice), and freeze blobs of it in ice cube trays, empty the
tray, bag it up... it does me until it's time to sow again. It all gets
used, the stuff that flowers and bolts I'll let seed then keep the seed
for next years crop and grind the rest when I need to make a curry
powder. A lot of finely chopped fresh coriander plant fits into a very
small space. The thing about freezing it in blobs is that one blob will
coriander freshly a rice for two or three people.

The stuff you get in jars in the shops is like £1.50 or more for a small
jar and I really resent paying that

--
comp.john