Old 13-06-2009, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Runners beans failed

"Judith in France" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote ...I had some runner beans which I brough from
England. Only 2 have
germinated, I dug down and the rest have all rotted away! I bought
some French runner beans here yesterday, put them on wet kitchen roll
and I will leave them like that until they germinate and then plant,
has anyone else had a failure this year?

Due to am impending trip to SW France we planted our beans in situ out on
the allotment. Have had problems with White Runners (White Lady, 2 from
12)
and Climbing French Beans (Cobra, again 2 from 12).
The Red Runners all came up and so did all but 3 of the Borlotti.
Planted again and am keeping them in the greenhouse so they stay warm and
damp, got 2 more White Lady so far.

The Red runners and Borlotti were fresh seed!

Where in SW France Bob? I will take the good advice given here and
start them off in pots next time.

We stayed in a Farmhouse B & B just outside the town of Lafrancaise, nearest
larger town is Moissac. It was a friends 60th birthday so we went for her
party and a holiday.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden