Old 13-06-2009, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Runners beans failed

"Judith in France" wrote in message
I had some runner beans which I brough from England. Only 2 have
germinated, I dug down and the rest have all rotted away! I bought
some French runner beans here yesterday, put them on wet kitchen roll
and I will leave them like that until they germinate and then plant,
has anyone else had a failure this year?

Judith

For me it's a question of timing and this year I've been lucky. During the
warm spell in May I planted my French climbers (Blue Lake and Hunter) in
compost filled gravel trays, in the greenhouse. They all germinated and are
now in situ. French dwarf beans were planted direct into the soil, at the
same time and these are doing ok, although they germinated 10 days after the
climbers.
However, if we get another cool wet summer, I won't be expecting a crop from
the climbers. -