Old 13-06-2009, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default When can you start digging potatoes?

In article , David in Normandy
writes
June Hughes wrote:

Oh. I think mine are main crop but thought you had to wait until
they had finished flowering? I may be wrong and can't remember where
the info came from.

I've heard that too, but take the view that if they are big enough to
eat then do so; cheaper than buying new potatoes. I suppose it depends
on how many you've planted as to whether you can "waste" a few by
digging them up before they are full size. I've got more than 300
plants so I can dig as soon as possible. The biggest chore is digging
them up, especially if the ground bakes hard, it has a lot of clay in
it. I probably won't get around to lifting the last of them until the
tops have completely died off. Trouble then is finding where to dig
without impaling some.

Trouble is, in the last few years, this area at any rate, has suffered
blight, so presumably the quicker you can grow and eat the potatoes the
less chance you have of losing them!!

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph