Old 14-06-2009, 06:35 AM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default moving roses

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 16:35:02 +0000 (UTC), enigma wrote:

when is the best time to move roses? is now ok, if i can keep them
watered, or should i wait until fall?
some are grafted & some are own root, if that matters. one is
supposedly a climber although it's never gotten more than 3' tall in
three years.
(Fourth of July http://www.rose.org/1999-winner-fourth-of-july/ )
also, i'm looking for low growing, full sun perennials for along a
walkway. i'm growing creeping thyme & chamomile between the stones.
lee

Roses do not move well,

I must tell that to all the roses I've moved. It seems that they don't know
that aren't supposed to move well.

Try to move them when it's the recommended time for planting roses in your
area. Mind you, I have moved things when I considered it 'must be done NOW'
and without following my own advice for it being the 'right' time and not
had any problems. I do think however that it is probably best to stick to
planting times when they can do maximum root restablishment before they are
expected to perform at their best.