Old 14-06-2009, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Removing phormiums

--
..
"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Has anyone tried removing a phormium? Which is the best way?
How deeply rooted are they?
My daughter has 2 phormiums in her garden which have outgrown their
space. She wants to get rid of them.
Even trying to get a fork in is difficult, so digging them out seems
impossible. She is considering an axe!

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Pam in Bristol

We dug a trench all round ours, trimmed the side roots out with a saw, dug
underneath it and 'rocked it' out.

Slid it onto a large folded sheet, 'just' managed to manhandle it into a
wheelbarrow, it was a good 2 foot in diameter and 6 foot high, wheeled it
down the garden to where daughter and son in law had parked a pick up truck,
4 of us hoisted it into the back, and they took it away and planted it in
their massive garden.

If you 'just want to get rid of it', dig the trench all round and cut it
out, bit by bit by bit with a course wood saw.

Very soft and sappy. Stacks of stuff for the compost heap. (Oil the saw
afterwards or it will go rusty)

Mike