Old 14-06-2009, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
moghouse moghouse is offline

Default Removing phormiums

On Jun 14, 8:16*am, Pam Moore wrote:
Has anyone tried removing a phormium? *Which is the best way?
How deeply rooted are they?
My daughter has 2 phormiums in her garden which have outgrown their
space. *She wants to get rid of them.
Even trying to get a fork in is difficult, so digging them out seems
impossible. *She is considering an axe!

Any advice would be appreciated. *Thanks.

If you want a serious suggestion may I recommend a method I used some
years ago?

I had just moved into my house and was surveying the garden. There
were two enormous pampas grass clumps. I started to tackle the first
one but found it very hard going. My secret weapon was then brought
into play. My then teenage daughter had a new american boyfriend who
was very anxious to make a good impression on his sweetheart's Ma and
Pa. Fortunately he was a very athletic young man. "What we really
need, Greg, is a little help digging out a couple of plants". "No
trouble at all. sir, Consider it done, where's the spade?" It took him
a week of intensive labour but he was very fit at the end!