Old 14-06-2009, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete C[_2_] Pete C[_2_] is offline

Default A bucket of salty slugs and snails

wrote:
In article ,
Pete C wrote:

Yellow wrote:

It is the saltiness of the water rather than the bodies that is
causing me concern - would it be ok to pour that on to my garden?

NO! Not on your garden. The salt will kill everything in sight. I'd
say a street drain............but that's illegal, so I didn't say it

No, it won't. If it is a strong solution, it will kill some of the
plants it goes on, but will wash away harmlessly in the rain. The
technique of salting fields to stop farming works only in areas
where the evaporation exceeds the rainfall, and nowhere in the UK
(not even the driest part of Essex) gets close to that.

Even there, the excess of rainfall over evaporation is 200 Kg/m^2,
though there is no excess in the summer. That will wash away at
least 10 Kg/m^2 of salt. In the west, you are talking about 5-10
times those figures. And the odd kilo of salt in the groundwater
is neither here nor there - even if every gardener in the country
did it!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I bow to your superior knowledge Nick