Old 14-06-2009, 06:10 PM
kanewesley kanewesley is offline
Registered User

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarif360cs View Post
As Dave said check the oil and/or top it up or replace it with the correct grade.
And also check it is getting enough cooling air. "Heat seizure" is pretty common due to lack of cooling. May also pay to check the spark plug for the colour at the tip, as a too lean a fuel mixture can cause overheating in extreme cases.
Good luck

Thanks......I did check the oil level....it hasn't a dipstick but has to be topped up to the lip of the filler cap which is towards the bottom of the head.
Can't say 100% what the level was but I have drained the original oil out and replaced with a universal lawnmower oil from B&Q.....Performance of the mower was still the same, stalling / seizing after a few minutes.

How do I check for air flow around the head??????? I thought as it was open to the elements, the ambient air around it would cool it?

Do any of you think the engine is shot?

I wouldn't have thought so as when it is cold, therre is plenty of compression and it runs ok for five minutes.

What if the piston rings were badly worn?.....if the rings were in good condition and the piston expanded, only the ring would have contact with the barrel and would still run.
If the rings say were worn down, and the piston expanded with heat, we now have the full surface area of the piston in contact with the barrel and it may cause so much drag, it stalls the engine.

Is this feasable or am I talking crap !!!!