Old 14-06-2009, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Most stupid thing to do?

mogga wrote:

So can I still eat the spuds if it's glycowhatsit or other
plantkiller? Is it worth digging them up?

Can't give a definitive answer. The ultra safe answer is not to eat them
and dig them up for the compost heap. However, I've eaten some potatoes
from plants that had a "glancing blow" while spraying weeds alongside.
The plants survived but were poorly for a while. The potatoes themselves
looked superficially ok and tasted normal, but I noticed they did not
keep well.

However, you can't be sure it was glyphosate or something more
obnoxious? On that basis I wouldn't eat them and just compost them.

The normal practice is to keep different sprayers. One specifically for
weedkillers. Alternatively, to always thoroughly wash out after using
a weedkiller.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.