Old 14-06-2009, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bobbie[_2_] Bobbie[_2_] is offline

Default Most stupid thing to do?

wafflycat wrote:

"Bobbie" wrote in message
David in Normandy wrote:
mogga wrote:

So can I still eat the spuds if it's glycowhatsit or other
plantkiller? Is it worth digging them up?

Can't give a definitive answer. The ultra safe answer is not to eat
them and dig them up for the compost heap. However, I've eaten some
potatoes from plants that had a "glancing blow" while spraying weeds
alongside. The plants survived but were poorly for a while. The
potatoes themselves looked superficially ok and tasted normal, but I
noticed they did not keep well.

However, you can't be sure it was glyphosate or something more
obnoxious? On that basis I wouldn't eat them and just compost them.

The normal practice is to keep different sprayers. One specifically
for weedkillers. Alternatively, to always thoroughly wash out after
using a weedkiller.

Better still, give up using chemicals and pesticides. Go Green, go
organic. So much better for you and the environment.
I have a large garden, and a my husband has a good sized vegetable
garden, we don't use any chemicals. The veg are doing well and so are
the flower beds.

Bobbie

Water is a chemical. I hope you haven't given up using that ;-)

Ah, butt.! We have rain water butts wherever we can put a drainage pipe.
We use them for perforated hose irrigation in places and always use rain
water whenever lime is not recommended. John has also utilised rain
water butts to set up a kind of capillary watering system for the green
house to water the tomatoes and cucumbers. We do live in a hard water area.
I do drink tap water, will I die?

Bobbie;-)