Old 14-06-2009, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bobbie[_2_] Bobbie[_2_] is offline

Default Most stupid thing to do?

wrote:
In article ,
Bobbie wrote:
David in Normandy wrote:
What do you use to prevent / cure rust on the onion family? My chives
seem very prone to attack at this time of year. Similarly how do you
prevent / cure blight on potatoes and tomatoes?

Would you believe me if I was to tell you that so far we have not been
blighted in this way.
I think a lot has to do with being able to use untainted compost. from
our own compost heaps. ...

Nope. That has damn-all to do with it. Sorry. Blight is carried
by the wind, and starts whenever the weather conditions are right.
Most rusts are similar.

There ARE things that are soil-borne, but those two aren't. You've
just been lucky.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Oh I do know that. It doesn't mean I can't get verticillium wilt or
Fusarium wilt but by choosing plants that are not so susceptible, I do
try to avoid it.I don't pretend to cure all or even avoid all but the
methods I use reduce the incidences to a manageable level, without
harming my animals or any that might find their way into the garden.
That is much more important to me than a prize bloom or bumper harvest.

Bobbie