Old 14-06-2009, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Mysterious plant ?!?!?!?

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 22:40:22 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 18:46:02 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme
wrote:

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 11:08:46 +0100, The_Frodster
wrote:

Hello all.....

My next door neighbour has a plant growing which she did not plant
herself, we have both looked in our identification books and I have
trawled through thousands of images on-line but we haven't managed to
identify it.....any help in doing form your good selves would really
make her day !!!

I have attached some photos of both the flowers and the foliage.....the
flowers unfurl, almost fern like in the way they do this.

Thanking you all in advance..... Matt x

It's a scorpion weed. There were fields full of them when I was a kid
but they seem to be less common theses days.

Steve

I've never heard of scorpion weed but we are both right Steve!
See http://www.plantpress.com/wildlife/o...orpionweed.php
Another site said that touching it can sting like poison ivy. I've
touched the plant many times and never had any ill effect. I just let
it seed and grow where it wants on the allotment. Any in unsuitable
places go on the compost.
If only it were scented it would be a very desirable garden plant.
The young foliage is attractive too.

Pam in Bristol

And you can buy a plant for 3.99 !!!
http://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/bed...id.2000010196/
Interesting references on Google.

I feel sure we had a similar question on here some years ago. Can't
find it though.

Pam in Bristol