Old 14-06-2009, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Most stupid thing to do?

"Bobbie" wrote...
David in Normandy wrote:
mogga wrote:

So can I still eat the spuds if it's glycowhatsit or other
plantkiller? Is it worth digging them up?

Can't give a definitive answer. The ultra safe answer is not to eat them
and dig them up for the compost heap. However, I've eaten some potatoes
from plants that had a "glancing blow" while spraying weeds alongside.
The plants survived but were poorly for a while. The potatoes themselves
looked superficially ok and tasted normal, but I noticed they did not
keep well.

However, you can't be sure it was glyphosate or something more obnoxious?
On that basis I wouldn't eat them and just compost them.

The normal practice is to keep different sprayers. One specifically for
weedkillers. Alternatively, to always thoroughly wash out after using a
weedkiller.

Better still, give up using chemicals and pesticides. Go Green, go
organic. So much better for you and the environment.
I have a large garden, and a my husband has a good sized vegetable garden,
we don't use any chemicals. The veg are doing well and so are the flower
beds.

In most cases much, much easier to do in a back garden than an allotment!
Totally different type of environment.

We would love to grow totally without chemicals but it would mean giving up
growing some major crops... peas and beans, sweetcorn, all brassicas.
Unless there is a non chemical way to deal with mice, rats, pea & bean
weevil, slugs, flea beetle........

--
Regards
Bob Hobden