Old 15-06-2009, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mysterious plant ?!?!?!?

In message , Stephen
Wolstenholme writes
On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 22:40:22 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

I've never heard of scorpion weed but we are both right Steve!
See http://www.plantpress.com/wildlife/o...orpionweed.php
Another site said that touching it can sting like poison ivy. I've
touched the plant many times and never had any ill effect. I just let
it seed and grow where it wants on the allotment. Any in unsuitable
places go on the compost.
If only it were scented it would be a very desirable garden plant.
The young foliage is attractive too.

It's the name I remember from over 50 years ago when I was very young.
I think it was to make us think the fields were full of scorpions and
stinging plants. All to stop us playing in the farmers fields.

Steve

Supposedly strips of Phacelia tanacetifolia were planted to encourage
beneficial insects.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley