Old 15-06-2009, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default blackcurrant: brown leaves

In message , Fred
writes
Hello,

I have two blackcurrant bushes, different varieties, Ben something
(aren't they all?). Why are they called Ben xxx?

Because they were raised at the Scottish Horticultural Research
Institute at Invergowrie and named after Scottish mountains.

http://www.scri.ac.uk/research/genet.../softfruit/rib
es/breeding

Some leaves are discoloured. I looked through the "fruit expert" book
and the only thing I could find was "leaf scorch" and the cure was a
potash fertilizer. Before I go and buy some, is there anything else it
could be?

The bushes are in a south facing garden and someone has suggested it
is too bright for them. Should I move them into the shade?

Thanks in advance.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley