Old 15-06-2009, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Onions

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"David in Normandy" wrote after
dido22 wrote:
I am growing some red onions in the garden (Red Baron). They are doing
well. I notice that there is something like a small bud forming on the
tips of the mani stems. Is this normal ?

Sounds like a flower bud? In my experience red onions tend to have a
habit of running to seed more than white onions.

snip
Quite agree, red onions tend to go to seed more than white onions. I
always cut/pull off any flower heads as soon as I see them but the onion
will usually end up with a tube through the middle where the flower spike
grew from. Pick those onions as you need them from now on as they will
never bulk up as you might wish.

About 30% of mine (white onions) have gone to seed. Chop them (and leaves)
into a salad.

..