Old 16-06-2009, 05:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
gunner gunner is offline

Default Need to grow your own manure?

"Billy" wrote in message

For half a century, meat producers have fed antibiotics to farm animals
to increase their growth and stave off infections.

The Minnesota researchers planted corn, green onion and cabbage in
manure-treated soil in 2005 to evaluate the environmental impacts of
feeding antibiotics to livestock. Six weeks later, the crops were
analyzed and found to absorb chlortetracycline, ......

Jeeze Louise! More bloody sloppy reporting. Why don't they differntiate
between Feedlot animals and grass fed animals!

Or perhaps all beef in the US comes from feedlot animals. Our cattle are
only ever given anitbiotics if they have a problem like an infection and
then it's usually only one jab that has a 3 day life.

Fran, ya gotta get out more Dear. 24 Feb 2009
http://www.rsca.org.au/media-centre/...ive-farms.html :

"Antibiotic resistance is becoming a big threat to the health of Australians
and is increasingly being linked to the food we eat.

In Australia, more than two thirds of antibiotic use involves farm animals
and those antibiotics are quite similar to those used to fight infections in
people.

Speaking today at the RSPCA's annual Scientific Seminar, Dr Peter Collignon
will discuss how the wide use of antibiotics in intensive farming systems,
to prevent disease and promote faster growth, impacts human health by aiding
the spread of resistance bacteria".

Now, we Americans also have our waste treatment plants hyping the organic
feel good benefits of their by-products recycling programs, steriods and
antiboitics and many other meds. This already affects the Salmon industry.
Often wondered about human waste ferts used in 3rd World. They do not
always follow the entire protocol of meds and hence we have Drug Resist. TB
and such.

But I do have to ask what does this do to the naturally occuring e.coli and
other potentially harmful pathogens in the soil? do they start on the path
of drug resistence? we don't have a lot of research on this as yet.