Old 16-06-2009, 11:22 AM
dina dina is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer Sparrow View Post
You may have been looking at a large rose sawfly. The behaviour you saw may have been egg-laying. If so, the larvae, when they hatch, resemble caterpillars.

Here's the adult:

http://www.galerie-insecte.org/galer...agana_800_.jpg

I have a pesticide-free policy in my garden, but I know that this isn't for everyone. Treat the larvae as any other caterpillar if you want to avoid damage to the foliage.
Thank you. This is the one I saw!
I don't like pesticides either but what is alternative? How do we treat caterpillars without using pesticides (apart from killing them by hands)?

Dina