Old 15-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Chris

Default Best tool to cut bamboo?

Dan Epstein wrote in message . ..
Thanks Bob,

I'm in Palo Alto. I might try your solution. I purchased the top of
the line anvil looper from OSH, ratcheting mechanism, extension handle
etc. but it couldn't cleanly cut through the more substantial timbers.
It was a pathetic performance and I brought it right back to OSH.
Fiskars and Gardena are probably of higher quality and I might try one
of them via amazon.com. I looked for a PVC cutting tool at Home Depot
and OSH (recommended in this thread) but could find only a small one
which looks more like a rose pruner. I didn't try one of these but
doubt it would work.

There are a couple variants of PVC cutters that would work with
bamboo, although very time consuming. One is a standard pipe cutter,
but for plastic. It looks like a big "question mark" it has a single
roller blade and adjustment screw.

Reciprocating saw sounds tempting--I was hoping to
solve this without a motorized gadget, given the tranquility of the
bamboo forest I am up against -- I don't want to disturb the peace!

But won't you disturb the peace and tranquility of the grove with your
swearing?:-)

I had difficulty with a reciprocating saw cutting B. Vulgaris Vitatta.
I couldn't get a good hold on the culm with the stop and it was a
very thick culm. Chainsaw baby... chainsaw!!!

Chris
Chino, CA