Old 16-06-2009, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jonathan Campbell Jonathan Campbell is offline

Default Harvesting potatoes now --- what to do with foliage (fear ofblight)?

Derek Turner wrote:
On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:22:54 +0100, Jonathan Campbell wrote:

I'm lifting early potatoes now; what should I do with the foliage?

Thinking of the compost bin, I'm fearful of blight. There is no evidence
of blight on the foliage, though I have been spraying with Dithane.

And you're going to eat all that fungicide residue? Yuck.

How many Smith periods have you had recently?

I like the smell of it -- especially in the morning.

However, you make a good point; I had reacted to forecast humid weather.
The Met Office here in Ireland normally issues blight warnings, but none
so far this year.

I suppose earlies harvested before the end of June might normally escape
blight?

Jon C.

--
Jonathan Campbell www.jgcampbell.com BT48, UK.