Old 16-06-2009, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jonathan Campbell Jonathan Campbell is offline

Default Harvesting potatoes now --- what to do with foliage (fear ofblight)?

David in Normandy wrote:
Jonathan Campbell wrote:
I'm lifting early potatoes now; what should I do with the foliage?

[...]

I always put my potato foliage in the compost and can't say as I've
noticed any problems. There is very little I don't compost. Even long
rooted docks and thistles go into the composters. Nothing much seems to
survive the composting process. I have those open bottomed black plastic
compost bins and they get very hot; especially with a good mix of
materials to compost and some pee to accelerate the process.

Thanks. That's encouraging --- it seemed a pity to put them in the black
bin.

I'm not sure my compost bin cooks that efficiently, but I'll follow your
advice.

Jon C.

--
Jonathan Campbell www.jgcampbell.com BT48, UK.