Old 16-06-2009, 04:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Watering

In article ,
"SteveB" wrote:

I'm a newbie. I got my 25x28 plot all tilled, added about twenty sacks of
amendments, including peat moss, and turkey crap based conditioner, and some
vermiculite.

I made rows that were as best I could that were level. I ran a PVC line
with bubblers to each trench, and I have two rain bird type sprayers. I
have a few low pressure emitter lines on some tomatos.

This is the first season, and a learning one. I feel that flooding the rows
may not be getting water to the top of the dirt on the rows. I go out about
three times a day and spray so the top is moist. I have some planted seeds
germinating, and some nursery plants going. They look pretty good actually.
The melons look fantastic.

At the nursery, they sell a flat ribbon type watering pipe that has an
emitter each few feet. The attachment comes in the form of a barb that goes
into a black abs feed pipe. You cut them to length and crimp the ends shut.

What is the best way to water? Flood? Spray? Emitters? Combination?
Next year, we will probably have a greenhouse, and can do different things
from ground watering to overhead misting and spraying, and hanging pots.
But for this year, I'd just like to get maximum yield, and learn more about
the process.

Input appreciated.

Steve

Irrigation is wasteful. Misting and spraying may be good for ornamentals
but will cover your tomatoes and cucurbita with mold and mildew by the
shortened end of your gardening season. Drip is the watering of
preference, along with a (bi?)weekly hand watering, just to stay in
contact with your plants.
--

- Billy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Zunx_goz4