Old 16-06-2009, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bobbie[_5_] Bobbie[_5_] is offline

Default Most stupid thing to do?

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , wafflycat
writes

"Bobbie" wrote in message
wafflycat wrote:

"Bobbie" wrote in message
David in Normandy wrote:
mogga wrote:

So can I still eat the spuds if it's glycowhatsit or other
plantkiller? Is it worth digging them up?

Can't give a definitive answer. The ultra safe answer is not to
them and dig them up for the compost heap. However, I've eaten
some potatoes from plants that had a "glancing blow" while
spraying weeds alongside. The plants survived but were poorly for
a while. The potatoes themselves looked superficially ok and
tasted normal, but I noticed they did not keep well.

However, you can't be sure it was glyphosate or something more
obnoxious? On that basis I wouldn't eat them and just compost them.

The normal practice is to keep different sprayers. One
specifically for weedkillers. Alternatively, to always thoroughly
wash out after using a weedkiller.

Better still, give up using chemicals and pesticides. Go Green, go
organic. So much better for you and the environment.
I have a large garden, and a my husband has a good sized vegetable
garden, we don't use any chemicals. The veg are doing well and so
are the flower beds.

Bobbie

Water is a chemical. I hope you haven't given up using that ;-)

Ah, butt.! We have rain water butts wherever we can put a drainage
pipe. We use them for perforated hose irrigation in places and
always use rain water whenever lime is not recommended. John has
also utilised rain water butts to set up a kind of capillary
watering system for the green house to water the tomatoes and
cucumbers. We do live in a hard water area.
I do drink tap water, will I die?

Bobbie;-)

Be careful, you never know.. ;-)

http://www.dhmo.org/

Sorry, it's one of my nitpicks.. this organic doesn't use chemicals.
Apart from the fact that *everything* is a chemical, organic does
allow the use of certain 'man-made' 'chemicals' I'm all for using the
minimum and whenever possible working with Mother Nature rather than
fighting against her and am against the *reliance* upon 'chemicals'
but this blanket "don't use chemicals' approach is plain wrong.

And it turns out to be a "don't use *some* chemicals". The Soil
Assocation allows some copper compounds, rotenone, sulphur and soft soap.

With respect that certainly applies to commercial growers and those who
wish to sell *organic* produce.
I am referring only to my own garden, and no doubt if I was faced with
the kind of conditions that require treatment, I too would no doubt turn
to the more accepted forms of chemicals. I would also point out that
Copper and sulphur occur
naturally in the soil, and rotenone and soft soap are of natural origin.
I did also state that although it was not too difficult to apply the *no
chemical rule* to my own garden that it is an entirely different matter
applying it to an allotment, where each plot owner would have his own
rules. Spray drift and the carrying of pesticides on shoes, is something
that cannot be regulated against with ease on the allotments.

Bobbie

--
http://www.smudgespatch.co.uk/newhome2.html