Old 16-06-2009, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Derek Turner Derek Turner is offline

Default Harvesting potatoes now --- what to do with foliage (fear ofblight)?

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 15:07:42 +0100, Jonathan Campbell wrote:

I suppose earlies harvested before the end of June might normally escape
blight?

Yes. June seldom yields Smith periods. Living, as I now do, in Jersey
with a very changeable maritime climate I think it very unlikely we will
have Smith periods. The general rule seems to be 'if you don't like the
weather don't worry: it will change when the tide turns'. Sustained high
temperature /and/ humidity is rare on a small island. Thats probably why
potatoes and tomatoes have been our biggest exports. Sacha?