Old 17-06-2009, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Harvesting potatoes now --- what to do with foliage (fear of blight)?

On 2009-06-16 22:37:07 +0100, Derek Turner said:

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 15:07:42 +0100, Jonathan Campbell wrote:

I suppose earlies harvested before the end of June might normally
escape blight?

Yes. June seldom yields Smith periods. Living, as I now do, in Jersey
with a very changeable maritime climate I think it very unlikely we
will have Smith periods. The general rule seems to be 'if you don't
like the weather don't worry: it will change when the tide turns'.
Sustained high temperature /and/ humidity is rare on a small island.
Thats probably why potatoes and tomatoes have been our biggest
exports. Sacha?

Sea breezes are healthy things that see off overall 'mugginess', I'd
think. snip

Most enjoyable post! Welcome home

Thank you. It was a short but really lovely visit ending with a family
lunch for 20 at a super local restaurant (Café de la Poste, Derek,
though off your beaten track!) We were intrigued to see how far ahead
some plants were but on the other hand, the Embothrium in my son's
garden is still flowering, while ours went over a couple of weeks ago.
I don't understand that because CI gardens are usually about 4 weeks or
more ahead of UK gardens. Their veg garden is yielding loads of
courgettes, carrots, potatoes (of course!) and the sweet peas are
flowering magnificently. Ray found some huge 'apples' on some of the
Camellias and has brought them home in the faint hope they'll ripen.
He took some cuttings from a Salvia we'd given them but have since
'lost' and he hopes that their Stauntonia will fruit again this year so
that we get lots of lovely seeds. We're also promised more of their
ever-green Agapanthus. My son and daughter in law can't abide them and
I adore them, so lucky us!
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.