Old 17-06-2009, 07:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Suzanne D.[_2_] Suzanne D.[_2_] is offline

Default Watering

"Billy" wrote in message
You know you could save a lot in amendments by planting "green manure"
as a cover crop. Rye to condition the soil and legumes to pump nitrogen
into it.

I like buckwheat as a good quick hot weather crop. You can get in three or
four plantings in a single season, and it gives lots of mulch when you cut
it down. I believe SteveB is the one who lives near me in southern Utah
(there are so many Steves on this NG it is hard to keep them straight), and
if so, I can guarantee him that buckwheat grows well around here with
virtually no care. I've got it growing in my tomato beds right now. I also
like canola for breaking up hard clay soil, and I like my crimson clover
(which is surprisingly growing even in this heat) to add nitrogen and
attract beneficial insects with its bright flowers. I feel that if you can
keep the ground covered with vegetation that will pull nutrients to the
surface AND provide future mulch, there is no reason to spend loads of time
and money on bagged amendments. Bulk seeds are cheap, and having the ground
consistently covered with vegetation discourages weeds. I understand the
desire to get the soil in good condition RIGHT NOW, but really, after just
two years of using no-till practices, I've got a good 3-4 inch layer of rich
black dirt in my beds, so it really doesn't take long at all to do it
naturally.
--S.