Old 17-06-2009, 08:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default How to aerate a small lawn without damaging grass?

"AKT" wrote in message
Thanks for all the replies. Our lawn is not decimated or anything, just
some areas are better than others and I read one should aerate lawns.
Our situation doesn't allow us to forbid kids and people from the lawn.

At Home Depot I saw a gadget that had 2 hollow spikes, presumably to
remove some dirt each time? Another had 4 solid spikes, so it will just
make holes, which I suppose aerates enough.

But my reaction was, how inefficient? Shouldn't there be a tool which
has a square with 16 spikes instead of a line with 4?

You'd need to weigh 500 pounds to stomp it in. There are roller type
aerator/pluggers but they're too large for your little lawn and they cost
big. Use the dual prong plugger, you'd be surprised at how quickly you can
cover your small lawn... I bet it wouldn't take more than 3 hours and you
don't have to do it all at one time.... and it's not like you need to do
this all that often, perhaps once every 2-3 years.