Old 17-06-2009, 08:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default How to aerate a small lawn without damaging grass?

In article , AKT
wrote:

Thanks for all the replies. Our lawn is not decimated or anything, just
some areas are better than others and I read one should aerate lawns.
Our situation doesn't allow us to forbid kids and people from the lawn.

At Home Depot I saw a gadget that had 2 hollow spikes, presumably to
remove some dirt each time? Another had 4 solid spikes, so it will just
make holes, which I suppose aerates enough.

But my reaction was, how inefficient? Shouldn't there be a tool which
has a square with 16 spikes instead of a line with 4?

That's what I meant, something that would make efficient use of time
and labor.

Thanks for your thoughts.

AKT wrote:
: What's the best way to aerate a small 30'x40' lawn without damaging
: grass?

Why not try to contact the grounds keeper for one of your local sports
fields (football or soccer) and ask their advice. Could probably be done
by phone.

You may want to start by looking at the following sites as well.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/LH065
http://ohioline.osu.edu/srt-fact/0002.html

As these sites use chemical fertilizers, which kill the ecology of the
soil, and make you dependent on buying more chemferts, I suggest you
look at
http://www.plantea.com/manuer.htm
and
http://www.extremelygreen.com/fertilizerguide.cfm