Old 17-06-2009, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Slugs - cut nettles ?

"Derek Turner" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 14:59:42 +0100, Bertie Doe wrote:

There are masses
of nettles on the unused allotments, behind the house.

Unused allotments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Out of the 20 allotments, 5 are unused/overgrown. I own one and rent half of
another with a neighbour. Our row of terraced houses were built in 1842 for
miners (tin, copper and stone quarries). Each house had its own 120' x 15'
allotment plus at the end of each back garden had a piggery. Nowadays, some
people buy the house but don't want to buy the allotment, so this sometimes
gets sold separately to someone in the nearby village (Liskeard)

One of my neighbours, overtime has purchased an additional 3 allotments and
rents another (rotavator job). Sadly most of the piggeries have gone and
have become garages or hard-standings. Last September there were 3, but the
best of the 3 (pictures 1 and 2) has now been demolished.
http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=f0bbadc3.pbw