Old 17-06-2009, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Watering Lance

"robert" wrote in answer to...
Bob Hobden
Anyone got a recommendation for a quality watering lance that does the job
and won't need constant mending.

I've use Hoselock, Gardenia and Wyvales own brand extendable and they are
all thrown together and come apart on a regular basis. Plastic push fit
onto
chrome plated pipes, plastic nuts/connectors not up to the job, constant
leaks, etc. I've had too many plants damaged with heads that suddenly fly
off under pressure.
I liked the idea of the Wyvales own brand, extendable with a head that can
be adjusted through 180° and with any number of spray patterns but the
quality of construction was dreadful and it constantly needed
mending/gluing
back together. Now if there was one similar but made with brass
connectors/nuts instead of thin plastic that would be ideal.

A length of 15mm copper tube cut to desired length with a simple lever arm
ball valve (15mm compression fittings) and connector to hose on the end.

So the thread on 15mm pipe fittings is the same as hose fittings.
In that case it should be easy to construct a robust metal lance as I too
have accumulated lots of pipe fittings and pipe over the years, even a pipe
bender.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden