Old 18-06-2009, 04:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Suzanne D.[_2_] Suzanne D.[_2_] is offline

Default Corn tasseling too early

I live in the southern Utah desert, zone 8-9-ish, heavy clay soil and hot
summers. I planted corn in my front yard, which previously had rather
unsuccessfully tried to be a lawn. This year, I forgot about grass, laid
drip lines, and planted it in corn.

Here are the stats of my situation:
** I planted Early Sunglow Hybrid on April 24. This variety is supposed to
grow about four feet tall, and the package gives it 68 days to harvest,
which would put it at early July.
** I planted the corn in five rows, in hills every three feet of 4-6 stalks
per hill.
** Each hill has a 1/2 GPH dripper. I turn the drippers on for two or three
hours every other day.
** I keep each hill pretty well weeded around the corn, but the rest of the
yard is heavy in weeds.
** Germination was fast and successful.
** I used no amendments.
** The stalks are about knee-high right now, and are very green and
healthy-looking.

Okay, so I went out there today and noticed that some of the stalks have
tassels! Nothing even resembling an ear or silk in sight on any of these
plants, and they are still so very tiny.

Is this bad? Is it hopeless? What may have caused it? Can I help it
somehow? Can I stop it in the others? Are there baby ears down deep where
I simply cannot see them? HELP!!
--S.