Old 18-06-2009, 02:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default Watering

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 08:15:02 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

I'm a newbie. I got my 25x28 plot all tilled, added about twenty sacks of
amendments, including peat moss, and turkey crap based conditioner, and some
vermiculite.

I made rows that were as best I could that were level. I ran a PVC line
with bubblers to each trench, and I have two rain bird type sprayers. I
have a few low pressure emitter lines on some tomatos.

This is the first season, and a learning one. I feel that flooding the rows
may not be getting water to the top of the dirt on the rows. I go out about
three times a day and spray so the top is moist. I have some planted seeds
germinating, and some nursery plants going. They look pretty good actually.
The melons look fantastic.

At the nursery, they sell a flat ribbon type watering pipe that has an
emitter each few feet. The attachment comes in the form of a barb that goes
into a black abs feed pipe. You cut them to length and crimp the ends shut.

What is the best way to water? Flood? Spray? Emitters? Combination?
Next year, we will probably have a greenhouse, and can do different things
from ground watering to overhead misting and spraying, and hanging pots.
But for this year, I'd just like to get maximum yield, and learn more about
the process.

Input appreciated.

Steve

Most plants like about 1 inch of water per week. How much rain do you
get each week, average? You need to water when the soil is dry about
2" down. Stick your finger into the soil up to the second knuckle.
You also need to water until the soil is damp at the 2" point.

You do not want to water just the top layer of dirt. You need to get
water to the roots where it can be used by the plant. Soaker hoses
are the least wasteful.

--
Susan N.